Do-It-Yourself Personalized Sock Monkey!
One of my favorite arts and crafts project over the Christmas Holidays was making a personalized Sock Monkey for my boyfriend. Here are the steps to create a unique and awesome gift:
- Google DIY Sock Monkey images to get some ideas of the personal touches you may want to create. Then read below to create the basic body of your monkey.
- Buy a pair of socks. I chose the typical ‘Grey Woolies’
- Get yourself a pair of scissors, a needle, thread, material to stuff the monkey (ie. Lost single socks or fabric ends), a coat hanger, and any other special materials to add to the “amazingness” of your creations
- Sock #1 makes the the legs, body and head; Sock #2 creates the arms, tail, ears, and mouth
- Take Sock #1, turn inside out, and draw a line down the middle of the sock from the heel to the end of the ankle
- Sew parallel to the mid-line on either sides to make the legs, leaving the ‘crotch’ area open to stuff
- Cut along the mid-line to create 2 legs
- Make the head by loosely sewing around the ‘toes’ of the sock
- Turn the sock right-side out and begin filling the head, body and legs with fabric
- Take Sock #2, turn inside out, and draw in the arms, tail, ears and mouth (heel) areas to cut out
- Cut and sew each part
- When stuffing the arms and tail, I put a piece of a coat hanger to allow for more structure to the limbs (I added flexing biceps as a personal touch to my sock monkey)
- Sew on the arms, tail and ears to Sock #1
- Before stuffing the mouth, I added some personal touches to the face of my monkey (ie. a smile, wink and button for the eyes)
- Sew on the mouth with stuffing behind to fill it out
- Add those last minute touches, and……………………………
VOILA! A personalized DIY Sock Monkey
Thanks for looking at my site. There some fun and silliness in us all. Send me your fun arts & craft projects, I’m always looking for new ways to stimulate my creativity and play with Child-like fun!