I had a short, but sweet trip to Vietnam and wished I spent more time here. With only 5 days to explore Vietnam I decided to focus on the South and visit the North on another trip. Here are the highlights:
- I flew from Siem Reap, Cambodia to Ho Chi Minh City (formerly known as Saigon), Vietnam
- I was given some great recommendation for a tailor in the Ben Thanh (232 Le Thanh Ton St., 1st district) called Nhut Tailor. The are a bit pricier but very nice quality and quickly made suits for men
- Also recommended was a near-by restaurant in a narrow alley called Quan Nam Giao. It was so delicious we went back again.
- Walked the Ben Thanh market and successfully dodged the non-stop traffic
- Danced at an outdoor DJ and pop concert
- Ran into a pub crawl of over 200 expats all wearing Santa suits
- Had a drink on the roof top of the Rex Hotel where the Secretary of State, John Kerry was dining
- Took a bus to Can Tho city and ate some delicious Vietnamese sandwiches!
- Woke up at 4:30am to catch a boat into the largest floating market along the MeKong Delta. Unfortunately, the produce industry is dying and it wasn’t as exciting as I’d hoped.
- I flew to Phu Quoc Island and it was breath-taking.
- I rented a scooter for the day and explored the Northern part of the island visiting abandoned islands, taking wrong turns and testing my kahuna
- Our next destination would be Koh Phangan, Thailand and we had a long journey ahead of us (Phu Quoc –> Ho Chi Minh City –> Bangkok –> Koh Samui –> bus and ferry to Koh Phangan).