The DASH Diet: Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension
The DASH Diet is for Mild to Moderate Hypertension control is much more effective than medications.
For medicated Hypertensive people, combining DASH diet is very beneficial to reduce medication levels.
- Grains: 7-8 per day
1 slice bread; ½ cup dry cereal; ½ cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal
- Vegetables & Fruits: 4-5 per day (I would personally up the servings to 8-10)
1 cup raw leafy vegetables, ½ cup cooked vegetables, 6 oz vegetable juice, 4-5 6 oz fruit juice, 1 medium fruit, ¼ cup dried fruit ½ cup fresh, frozen or canned fruit
- Low-fat dairy foods: 2-3/per day
8 oz milk; 1 cup yogurt; 1.5 oz cheese
- Meats including poultry, and fish: 2/day
3 oz cooked meats, poultry, or fish
- Nuts, seeds and legumes: 4-5/wk
1.5oz or 1/3 cup nuts; ½ oz or 2 tbsp seeds; ½ cup cooked legumes
High-potency multivitamin/mineral Flaxseed or fish oil Vitamin C Arginine Vitamin E Taurine Magnesium Anti-ACE bonito peptides Fresh garlic or Allicin CoQ10 (can be expensive but essential when taking medications)
NOTE: Be sure to visit your Naturopatic Doctor before taking any of these supplements
(especially if you are currently taking medication)
Additional Foods and Lifestyle Choices:
- Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp in diet daily
- 1.5 oz. almonds and/or walnuts daily
- Plant Sterols – 1-2g with meals
- Hibiscus tea 3x/d
- 20min. Brisk walking daily (or 30min/day for >4 days/week) and/or reduce caloric intake by 500-1000cal daily.